Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Jack of All Trades...

Unfortunately, the idiom suits me to the T.

How many people have you met that can play a little bit of cricket, tennis, football, table-tennis, the keyboard, a dozen computer games in amateur levels, cook maybe half a dozen things, learn sewing only to stop after learning how to get a button on, knowing how to make crude penholders from softdrink cans, waxlamps from candle stubs and some SUPW stuff, enough of bookish knowledge to be amongst the top but at the bottom once you are there...

I have spent days pondering over the reasons behind these plethora of abilities (for want of better word) of mine. Why, I've asked myself, is it that I have been unable to carry on whenever I have started out well? Why does the determination that accompanies me at first, fizz out?

These questions plagued me in initially. Later, self-confidence became an issue. When colleagues start excelling jealousy becomes an issue. You start wondering, what will you ever become? You hear praise of hard work all around you and start feeling low...

But one thing that i never lost was my keenness. Despite the many starts, I continued to start at many places and remarkably, I fitted somewhere.

Whenever a quiz master asks me the sport in which you would use the term 'Let', or the main ingredient of the sweet 'Bhaloshahi', or the form of sewing where flowers are dominant, or the unit of capacitance in physics, I feel happy that all those starts were there for me. I feel happy that whenever there is a discussion, I always have something to contribute. And when you feel happy, you feel confident.

Now, I'm not an octogenarian who has the experience of the world. Just an 18 year old guy. But this is truly one helluva experience in just 18 years of existence on planet earth.


4 comments:

  1. Well. Mayb u r Jack of all trades cos u still haven't found the topic that interests u the most and can keep ur interest high in it.....or mayb u have...."QUIZZING" - - -Rajat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude seriously, the very first post like this? Argh. Quite disheartening and disasapointing, or was I to expect this from you? Lol, not sure suddenly.

    Add a virtue like "Humility" to your long list of talents (yeah whatever!), might help you out bit more.

    To answer the question, I have met quite a few people who do all that, big world, ain't it?. :)

    Happy Blogging!! I am so happy you have started a blog, I can get firsthand entertainment and something to laugh about.

    *YAY!! Adi is the best!!! Yay!!! You are the best! Woohoo!*

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey!!!!!!! guys.............

    firstly,ramji this is aditya 's blog give him the freedom ..if he wants to write about himself its his choice.u like writing about events,people or somethin else that's ur choice....he's facing dilemmas,and phase through which we all have gone through and it is tough.......
    and adi bhai.....ur skills of sewing,cooking,are not skills but bare necessities to survive in hostel(ahead)......supw (i dont think they are skills also )....and in skills
    u forgot to mention the prominent one's-
    1.u blurt pj's and facts in the same tone...
    2.u take no mercy on ur audience and continue with the blurting till ur satisfied..
    3.u can entertain all age groups of people.....
    and a skill u have to improve on so that u can add that to ur long list-
    "street smartness " ...........that alone compensates for the others.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand... Frankly speaking when I read the first para of this post, i kinda felt that somewhere I fitted the same description that you mentioned about yourself...

    But you know what, dont ever be disheartened when you feel that you've not been able to carry on with your interests...
    Think of each interest of yours as an ingredient, and of yourself as a recipe.. then you'll find that - A little bit of every ingredient makes a very fine dish !!! :-)
    And on a more positive note, let me share something that mu mom once told me -
    Knowledge, however little or unimportant it may seem, NEVER GOES WASTE...

    ReplyDelete